Thursday, February 7, 2008

Time to Think About Your Garden?


I am planning a hefty garden this year with a little help from my friends. I know it is February, but now is the time to start a garden! First, if you want asparagus (which other than smelly pee, who doesn’t love asparagus) in one growing season, the time to plant is now! Asparagus generally don’t come as seeds, they come as a crown. As long as you get that crown below the frost line, it will start getting roots out and taking in nutrients. Also, it is time to get the Ole’ Burpee Seed Catalog out and have some fun. I am looking to plant (so far)

Annuals
• Perilla
• Sun Chokes
• Beets
• Brussels Sprouts
• Cardoon
• Cape Gooseberry (ground cherries)
• Soy beans (edamame)
• Ramps

Perennials
• Rhubarb
• Globe Artichokes
• Asparagus

Which exact verities am I going to get, there is still some time to ponder these important questions. I generally like things that you can’t find at the local farmer’s market or things that are native to Ohio. I haven't chosen any specific cultivars yet, but I still have some time. My wonderful sister-in-law, Emily found this gem. Oh, how I adore plants and their seemingly endless verities, I mean, Artichoke "Violetto de Romagna," Dwarf Blue Curled Scotch Kale, Giant Red Celery, Purple Calabash Tomato, Sunburst Squash, and Zebra Hybrid Eggplant oh my! If only there was a way to grow more of them on a small plot; eureka! There just might be?

Enter bio-intensive gardening! Bio-intensive gardening is basically the idea to get plants to work for you, which, I’m lazy, so that sounds good to me. Granted, there is a lot of prep work, but once you get these babies in the ground, watch out! My best recommendation is to:

1. Double dig your garden with a bit of compost or manure.
2. Plant in clumps spaced about the distance you think your roots will spread. This may take a few years to get just right.
3. Mulch that bad boy so you don’t have to water it everyday.

There is much more but as with most things, practice makes perfect. Soon you will know why that caterpillar is on your tomato plant and why that squash is loosing its leaves. Gardening is more about creativity than anything else, so have fun!

No comments: